Tuesday, June 12, 2012

The Last Month of School


School's out for summer!

As I reflect on the year, I've realized some of my favorite memories of the year happened in the last month of school.  Two of my favorite didn't even relate to all of the hard work we did on academics, but they are (in my opinion) important none-the-less:







Adam redirecting another student who said something that was rather mild, but not very nice.  "You know, you really shouldn't say that because it's not kind and we are a kind class."  (I didn't say a word.  Adam handled it beautifully and the other child stopped.)







A group of students making up a table hockey game on the last day of school.  On the last day of school I gave them some extended "choice time."  (It's similar to "free time" but I won't let them call it that because if they don't make a choice, then I make one for them.)  They made up the rules, figured out how to keep score, took turns playing and had fun playing.  It was great!  (If you teach a self-contained class, you know that some year's you need to work on cooperative skills all the way up to the last minute of the last day.  This group "got it" and it was wonderful to see and hear.


photos courtesy MicroSoft Office ClipArt

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

I'm visiting via the Daily 5 book study. I am enjoying this study, as I am going to be implementing it for the first time this coming year.

Waving from The Teacher's Chatterbox,
Rebecca

Unknown said...

I have taught self contained mild/mod. for the past 5 years. This year, I was in a more collab/EBD setting. It knocked me on my feet how the most 'troubled' students connected with each other and began to keep each other accountable. It was an amazing experience to be a part of. So, congrats!