Here are a few of the lessons we completed:
1) Every student had a novel and was expected to follow along. I hadn't typically done this in the past when there was such a difference in my students' reading skills and the level of difficulty of the text. This sounds silly, but it was almost an "A-ha" moment for me. The brailled book that we had was in contracted braille and Gabby is still reading uncontracted braille. This book was too hard for her, but she was able to explore the book and track through some of the chapters when she had 1:1 support. I have 2 students who are also still reading at a beginning first grade level. When they were given a simple verbal prompt on when to move to the next page, they could inconsistently track with us too.
2) We completed a "following directions" lesson based on the passages in the text to map out and create the barn scene. We added more details as we learned them throughout the book. (The white circle is just blocking out all of the kids names.)